Goodbye and Thank You

I’m sad to say GFX Labs and my time at Compound will be coming to a close. It has been a lot of fun to work with everyone on Compound over the last few years. I’ve found great friends and made some great memories.

I joined the protocol back on v1 before Sai was listed. In hindsight, my usage of the protocol was probably a bit reckless as I definitely didn’t know enough about the protocol to use it the way I was at Grapefruit Trading. I remember being totally fascinated with the premise of the protocol.

It truly was the first financial tool I found amazing.

I remember when COMP was introduced and the idea of protocol governance. Up until then, I just sat in Discord. COMP and Governor Alpha allowed me to take an active role in improving the protocol.

It feels like an eternity ago, but back when I proposed 24 to raise the WBTC collateral factor to 60%. I remember it was a huge deal (at least to me). I had managed to get Grapefruit to be the only OTC desk to support WBTC and knew there was a chicken and egg problem for WBTC. A recent Medium post by the Labs team introduced Compound Autonomous Proposals that allowed a token holder with 100 COMP to make a mini-proposal instead of the standard 100k proposal threshold. I bought a 100 COMP and made the mini-proposal. That began my lobbying effort to get people to delegate 100k votes to make it a full-fledged proposal.

When proposal 24 passed, I was amazed that someone with such limited credentials could make such a massive change, and that became my catalyst to continue to work in protocol governance.

In November 2020, the Dai liquidation occurred. After a few months of little action by anyone, I decided to take it upon myself to improve the oracle system to avoid another tragedy from happening again. Everyone hanging out in Compound in early 2021 will remember the oracle improvement was a very long and controversial process, but after 6-months of work, it was implemented in proposal 47. That is when it became clear to me that improving protocols as a community member would eventually become a formal role in DAOs.

In a subsequent proposal, 51, I became the first individual to be paid a regular COMP payment at the protocol level. After 51, I went on to add AAVE, SUSHI, YFI, and MKR to the protocol. I started running regular community calls and supported many more initiates.

The Compound community has always been one of the friendliest groups in DeFi. Robert Leshner is still one of the few founders I know who would sit in Discord and personally answer people’s questions. The community used to be a vibrant and thoughtful group of like-minded individuals. I don’t want to tarnish the great memories of the protocol by talking about the current state of the protocol, so I’ll leave it at thank you…thank you, Compound, the community, and Labs, for what you all did and what you represented to DeFi.

PS: We’ll be proposing UAV v3 once Chainlink finalizes the deployment in the coming week, and the proposal will also end my protocol pay.

22 Likes

Thank you so much Getty and GFX! Your efforts to improve the protocol and build community were inspiring and appreciated by all. The precedents you set as grass-roots protocol stewards will pave the way for more contributors. You’ll always be welcomed in protocol discourse in the forums, community calls and chat. Best of luck to you in your endeavors!

3 Likes

Getty - thanks for all the hard work here and best of luck with what’s next for you and GFX!

4 Likes

Getty, best of luck in all your future endeavors!

1 Like

Quick update regarding UAV v3. Chainlink ran into some internal infrastructure issues while deploying UAV v3 that pertain to gas usage. They should have them fixed and deployed by the end of next week. If, for whatever reason, they do not, I’ll make an individual proposal to end my contributor grant and circle back once the UAV v3 is ready.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, sorry about the delay. I was hoping we’d be able to sort out the oracle upgrade by now, but we’ve run into a few deployment issues along the way. I think the upgrade proposal will come soon, but I don’t want to drag out this process any longer, so I will propose to end my contributor grant.

On that note, I want to introduce @CL_Michael to the community. Michael works at Chainlink Labs as a Solutions Architect. He’ll be the go-between for Compound and Chainlink moving forward and thus the best to talk with regarding assets listing and any oracle maintenance. I’ll be in the background helping with this transition and handing off all the relevant info. I think the community will continue to be in good hands with folks at Chainlink.

Governance Proposal

4 Likes

Thank you, @getty!

Hi everyone, this is Michael Imperiale with Chainlink Labs.

I’m a Solutions Architect where I help onboard new users into the Chainlink Ecosystem and assist existing users like Compound to optimize and grow their protocol with Chainlink. I’ve been in the Chainlink community since the early days and have recently begun working with Getty and CLL on Compound’s oracle needs. I am grateful to Getty and GFX Labs for being outstanding stewards of Chainlink and am excited to have the opportunity to continue our collaboration with DeFi’s foundational protocol.

Please feel free to DM me here or on Discord with any questions or comments about Chainlink.

6 Likes

Goodbye man!

It was a pleasure working with you on proposal 47 and the oracle upgrades that followed it.

You’ve been a pivotal player in governance here, a true role model for protocol community members.

I’ve no doubt success is on the horizon. I hope we cross paths and build together again in future.

2 Likes

Thank you for all your work you did great job:)

2 Likes

Thank you for your contributions! Best of luck with the new endeavor, and wishing you success

1 Like