Yield Enhancement Opportunities for cETH holders using Zero-Liquidation Loans

Hi Compound Community,

there’s an idea for providing yield enhancement opportunities to cETH holders based on a proposal we made at rocket pool: Proposal for rETH-cETH Zero-Liquidation Loans - #3 by aetienne - Growth - Rocket Pool Forum

Essentially, the idea is to roll out a borrowing and lending market for rETH and cETH. This would allow cETH holders to lend out their cETH and earn a yield boost “on top” of the already existing cETH yield. The way this would work is that cETH holders could fund a Zero-Liquidation Loan pool. Through this pool borrowers could then deposit rETH as collateral and borrow cETH against it. Funding a Zero-Liquidation Loan means that lenders bear collateral price risk, i.e., if in this case rETH becomes worth less than the cETH debt owed by the borrower then they will not repay and lenders will receive rETH instead of the original lent cETH amount. From a payoff perspective this resembles a so called covered call (see figure below). Given the rather high correlation between rETH and cETH (0.9976) as well as the rather low vol (6% p.a.) there’s a fair chance that cETH borrowers will want to reclaim their rETH collateral and repay their loan, in which case lenders earn a yield boost on top of their regular cETH yield.

It would be great to hear if there’s any potential interest for this from the Compound community. Happy to answer any questions and provides more details where helpful!

3 Likes

Is there a more in depth guide to read about this proposal? Also more technical understanding of how it would exactly work would be great

1 Like

Hi Bober, many thx for taking the time to read the post and providing your feedback.

Absolutely, happy to provide more details, here’s a link to a google doc explaining the pool in more detail: in depth guide

So essentially we could do a pool on top of cETH such that cETH holders can lend their cETH to rETH holders who post rETH as collateral. For cETH holders this enables a yield-enhancement on top of their regular cETH yield and for rETH holders this enables hyper-staking, i.e., leveraging rETH to increase their rETH yield exposure. cETH holders bear the risk that rETH could depeg in the posted collateral fall in value such that the borrowers don’t repay. However, given the rather low volatility of the rETH/cETH pair there’s a good chance that borrowers repay and cETH lenders earn an extra yield. Moreover, we can parameterize the rETH/cETH pool such that the cETH-loan per posted rETH-collateral unit is at a level where cETH holders feel comfortabel lending at.

Let me also share our whitepaper here which explains the general Zero-Liquidation Loan concept in more detail: technical whitepaper

Lastly, allow me to also share our audit report from ChainSecurity, which I guess is well-known in the Compound community: audit

Please let me know in case you have any questions or if there are any particular areas that you’d like to dive deeper into, happy to answer any questions.

2 Likes

ok understood the tech behind the zero-liquidation loan is crazy but does this mean that for every pair another pool will be created?

Also wouldn’t you need a lot of onchain data from an oracle for this? Or not because its in the users interest to always pay back the loan they were given.

Will there be a token attachted to this or how should I see that?

It’s exciting and a win-win strat for both directions. Btw I just wonder if there are any equivalent TradFi products that also follow the “zero-liquidation loan” (I mean lending services instead of its option equivalence, i.e covered call)?

Hi Aetinne,
just 2 points. We can launch options on rETH and cETH so that we can avoid the creation of any pools or complexity solutions.
I see that market likes covered call selling, but be extremely careful with this approach. One day gamma squeeze will come, and sellers will be hurt.

Hey Bober, RapidsCapital and daniel_deltatheta, thank you for your messages, allow me to reply to your comments one by one.

Re your points Bober:

does this mean that for every pair another pool will be created?

Yes, exactly, so for every pair there would be a dedicated pool. For example, the one proposed here would be for the rETH/cETH pair, but there could be pools for others as well, e.g., cETH/ETH, cETH/USDC etc. To be more specific, each pool is defined by the given asset pair (e.g., wBTC/USDC), a loan tenor (e.g., 30 days) as well as a maximum loan amount per pledged collateral unit (e.g., users can borrow at most 10,000 USDC per pledged wBTC unit).

Also wouldn’t you need a lot of onchain data from an oracle for this? Or not because its in the users interest to always pay back the loan they were given.

So for the v1 we’ve developed, we wouldn’t need any oracle data. Instead it is up to the market to decide which pool to add liquidity to and borrow from. So for example, if wBTC price is currently 15,000 USDC and there are two wBTC/USDC pools, one with a max. loan amount of 10,000 USDC per wBTC and one with 20,000 USDC per wBTC, then lenders wouldn’t want to add any liquidity into the latter pool (and already invested lenders would want to redeem) to avoid getting arbitraged. So by virtue of lender and borrower activity, overall liquidity supply and demand will shift across pools as prices changes. However, this will happen independently of any oracle but purely based on market participant behavior. Similarly, and as you already pointed out, borrowers are naturally incentivized to repay their loan as long as the pledged collateral is worth more than the debt they owe. So the repayment process is settled by virtue of the inherent interest of the borrower to naturally exercise his “repay&reclaim option” only if it is in-the-money.

Will there be a token attachted to this or how should I see that?
At the moment our focus is very much on the actual core product, i.e., launching markets for Zero-Liquidation Loans. We don’t have any token yet.

Re your points RapidsCapital:

Btw I just wonder if there are any equivalent TradFi products that also follow the “zero-liquidation loan” (I mean lending services instead of its option equivalence, i.e covered call)?

Yes, so the most comparable TradFi product would be a “reverse convertible bond”. In a reverse convertible bond the borrower has the right to convert the owed repayment amount into underlying shares / collateral. If the borrower exercises this option then the lender receives shares / collateral instead of the repayment amount.

Re your points daniel_deltatheta:

just 2 points. We can launch options on rETH and cETH so that we can avoid the creation of any pools or complexity solutions.

Thx for sharing your thoughts but not sure I fully understand, would you mind explaining a bit more what you mean?

I see that market likes covered call selling, but be extremely careful with this approach. One day gamma squeeze will come, and sellers will be hurt.

Interesting, note though that one could make the same point regarding liquidation-centric loans and their associated potential risk of running into a short-squeeze scenario, i.e.: assume there’s a borrower pledging 2,000 USDC to borrow 1 ETH on e.g. Aave (assume worth 1,000 USDC) and then sells the ETH to short it. So initially, the borrower’s LTV is 50% and they’re short 1 ETH. Moreover, assume that the liquidation threshold is 80%. Now assume that the ETH price suddenly increases to 1,580 USDC such that their LTV is now 79%, slightly below the liquidation threshold of 80%. So in order to not get liquidated the borrower wants to close out their debt of 1 ETH so goes and buys 1 ETH. But let’s assume there are many other borrowers that shorted ETH as well at similar levels and need to buy back their ETH debt to repay and avoid being liquidated. In this case this could lead to a short squeeze where ETH prices could quickly push higher such liquidations will not be able to be executed in time and lenders could suffer a loss. While somewhat hypothetical, one could think of a short squeeze scenario being for conventional loan lenders what a gamma squeeze scenario would be for zero-liquidation loan lenders.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I am comfortable with the concept of “RCB”. Got a follow-up question:
Q: What is the incentive for ppl (rETH holders) to borrow cETH?
Their overall goal is to liquidate their stakedETH token (rETH) here, but the cost of making them liquid is relatively high (due to the high interest rate and its internal structure as a put option). I understand importing zero-liquidation loans here is for boosting yield, but just wonder who might be the potential borrowers here.

1 Like

Hi @RapidsCapital, many thx for your follow-up question, let me answer below:

Q: What is the incentive for ppl (rETH holders) to borrow cETH?
Their overall goal is to liquidate their stakedETH token (rETH) here, but the cost of making them liquid is relatively high (due to the high interest rate and its internal structure as a put option). I understand importing zero-liquidation loans here is for boosting yield, but just wonder who might be the potential borrowers here.

rETH holders can get leveraged rETH exposure, also referred to as “hyperstaking”, i.e.: they can earn yield on the rETH leg and pay funding in the cETH leg. by recursively borrowing they can build up leverage. this is explained in more detail here: Proposal for rETH-cETH Zero-Liquidation Loans - #4 by Valdorff - Growth - Rocket Pool Forum Pls lmk in case you have any further questions.

3 Likes